There has been a lot of discussion about ebooks destroying the publishing industry, and many people crying about the demise of the book. It kind of begs the question, “what is a book?” Is a book a collection of paper with a binding, or is it a collection of thoughts and ideas and language? I think Amazon gets it right in their Kindle commercial when the actor says “this IS a real book.”
I think the big problem for the publishing industry is that they have been trying to sell paper, when they should have been trying to sell thoughts and ideas and language. Paper books are just the medium. We should no more bemoan their loss than we did VHS tape– well maybe a bit more, they have been around for half a millennium or so. Still, no one cried that VHS tapes were going away in favor of DVD. We knew that it was what’s on the media that was important. The same is true for the printed page. It’s not the paper and ink. To paraphrase Bill Clinton: “It’s the words, stupid.”
I’m dedicated to publishing 5 books this year, and I’m still hopeful that working as a writer full time this summer I’ll be able to make that goal. The first of course is already out: His Robot Wife. So here’s what the rest of the year will look like:
His Robot Wife
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 4: The Young Sorceress
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 5: The Two Dragons
Book five may be any one of several projects. Of course I may not make my goal. I’m hopeful though, as last year I published 5 books.
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 0: Brechalon
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 1: The Voyage of the Minotaur
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 2: The Dark and Forbidding Land
Senta and the Steel Dragon Book 3: The Drache Girl.
You might be a bibliophile if…
1. You have more than one bookcase in each room.
2. You spend more time shopping for books than clothes.
3. Sometimes you open a book just to sniff the binding.
4. Your stack of books “to be read” weighs more than you do.
5. Amazon is your home page.
6. You know who Audrey Niffenegger is but have no idea who Simon Cowell is.
7. You named your two sons Barnes and Noble.
8. You think Steven King isn’t so bad looking afer all.
9. You have a book in your hand right now.
10. You hope your favorite book is NOT made into a movie.
I’ve been getting some very nice feedback on my books lately. I thought I would share a couple of tweets that have recently been “tweeted” on Twitter.
BTW “His Robot Girlfriend” is still very popular at Feedbooks.
I love your books
dude people love your shit! It’s true
You can follow me on Twitter @ HistoryWes.
I added a donation button because several people asked me to. If you downloaded and read “His Robot Girlfried” or “Eaglethorpe Buxton and the Elven Princess” or even “Women of Power” and you want to pay for it you can. Still, I would rather if you liked one of the above books, that you purchase “Princess of Amathar”.
One Year Anniversary Contest
To celebrate one year of the City of Amathar blog, I am holding a contest. Ten winners will be awarded, each receiving an autographed paperback copy of one of the following books:
Eaglethorpe Buxton and the Elven Princess
His Robot Girlfriend
Princess of Amathar
Winners may choose which book they receive.
- If you are under 18, ask a parent’s permission before entering.
- Winners will NOT be notified by email. The winner will be posted here on August 13, 2009. If you don’t want to miss the announcement post, be a subscriber to the blog. Look in the left sidebar under Subscribe. Better yet Follow.
- Make sure your entry can be distinguished by others who post. Remember, you might not be the only John or Jane commenting below.
- Comment below and you will be entered once.
- Only one entry per day by commenting, unless you participate in one of the ways listed below.
Multiple Entries for the Contest:
- Post about the contest on your blog and include the link with your comment and you’ll be entered again.
- Are you a Blogger Follower of this blog? If you are, mention this in the comment section. That’s another entry.
- Subscribed by email or with an RSS reader? Be sure to say so. That’s an additional entry.
- Following me on Twitter? If you mention it, that’s another entry.
- If you post about this on Twitter, be sure to say so in the comment section. That’s another entry.
- Stumble this post enter again.
- Sign up for Friend Feed? Add me as a friend and that’s another entry.
- Are you a member at Facebook? MySpace? Add me as a friend and that’s additional entries. Be sure to list which ones.
- Connect with me on GetGlue.com and that’s another entry. Just be sure to include the name you go by on Get Glue.
- Got another idea for spreading the word about City of Amathar Press? Let me hear it and that will be another entry.
And watch for the announcement of the winners August 13th.